“The Belt and Road” Master Fellowship Programme is launched in connection with the International Outreach Initiative of Chinese Academy of Sciences (CAS).
It provides funding opportunities for up to 120 students/scholars from the countries along the Silk Road Economic Belt and the 21st-Century Maritime Silk Road (the Belt and Road) to pursue Master degrees at the University of Chinese Academy of Sciences (UCAS) around China up to 3 years.
Courses and Programmes
For UCAS, please refer to Call for 2018 Master’s Programs for International Students.
Fellowship Coverage and Duration
The funding duration of the fellowship is up to 3 years (with NO EXTENSION), divided into:
General conditions for applicants:
a) Native language is English, or
b) Major undergraduate courses are conducted in English/Chinese, which should be stated in transcripts, or
c) New HSK Band 5 passed with over 200 scores.
Step By Step Guideline
In order to successfully apply for CAS “The Belt and Road” Master Fellowship, applicants are requested to follow a few key steps that are indicated below:
1. CHECK ELIGIBILITY CRITERIA:
You should verify that you are eligible and meet ALL the eligibility criteria specified in the “General conditions for applicants” section of this call (e.g. age, bachelor’s degree, etc).
2. FIND AN ELIGIBLE HOST SUPERVISOR AFFILIATED WITH UCAS FACULTY OR CAS INSTITUTE THAT AGREES TO ACCEPT YOU.
See here for a list of eligible supervisors affiliated with UCAS faculties/CAS institutes.
Once you find an eligible professor of your interest, you must contact him/her, send an explanatory e-mail together with your CV, research proposal and any other required documents to him/her, and indicate that you wish to apply for CAS “The Belt and Road” Master Fellowship.
3. SUBMIT BOTH OF YOUR ADMISSION APPLICATION AND FELLOWSHIP APPLICATION VIA THE ONLINE SYSTEM.
Applications for both admission and fellowship shall be submitted via the Online Application System for International Students of UCAS (http://adis.ucas.ac.cn) which would be officially launched around Dec. 15, 2017. Please prepare and upload the following materials to the system. Make sure the electronic version of supporting documentation is in the right format as requested for the online application system.
• Your regular passport which has at least 2 years validity (only pages showing personal and validity details are needed);
• Your recent full-face bust photo with 2-inch;
• Complete CV with a brief introduction of research experience;
• Original copy of Bachelor’s degree certificates；
Applicants who are still in the process of completing their bachelor’s degree upon the application deadline must provide confirmation of degree conferral from their current institutions, including the expected date of graduation.
• Original copy of their undergraduate study;
• Proof of knowledge of English and/or Chinese;
• Detailed research proposal;
• Photocopies of all the title pages and abstracts of maximum 5 published academic papers (if available). Please do not provide photocopies of unpublished papers;
• TWO reference letters (NOT the host supervisor) familiar with you and your work (signed, dated and on official headed paper with contact phone number and email address)
• Foreigner Physical Examination Form
4. REMIND YOUR SUPERVISOR TO COMPLETE THE SUPERVISOR’S COMMENT PAGE OF BOTH ADMISSION APPLICATION FORM FOR INTERNATIONAL STUDENTS (Attachment 1) and APPLICATION FORM FOR THE BELT AND ROAD MASTER FELLOWSHIP PROGRAMME (Attachment 2) AND SEND IT TO THE INTERNATIONAL STUDENTS OFFICE OF UCAS BY THE UCAS FACULTY/CAS INSTITUTE WHICH HE/SHE IS AFFILIATED WITH BEFORE DEADLINE.
March 31, 2018
Notification of Decision and Visa Application
The admission decisions will be made normally in May to June. The offers of admissions, award letters and other documents will be conveyed afterwards.
Awardees shall take the following documents to the Embassy or Consulate of the People's Republic of China, and apply for a student visa (X1/X2 visa):
Please keep safe of the original Admission Notice and Visa Application Form (JW202). They are essential in the application for the Permanent Residence Permit upon registration. Please do not apply for visa waiver or other types of visa.
International Students Office
University of Chinese Academy of Sciences
No.80 Zhongguancun East Road, Haidian District, Beijing, 100190, China
Coordinator: Ms. HU Menglin