Course Code: B53002
Course Name: Biomaterials Science
Pre-requisite: Inorganic and Organic Chemistry
Lecture Time: 30 hours
Teaching aims and requirements:
1. Help students to understand the basic knowledge of biological materials science and the development of the discipline.
2. Help students to understand the status and role of biological materials in biomedical engineering, biological science, biotechnology and medicine, to cultivate students' interests in learning and applying.
3. Develop students' autonomous learning ability, improve their oral and written expression and team work ability.
Topics and Schedule
1 Introduction of biological materials
Development of biological materials; Definition and characterization of biomaterials; Classification of biomedical materials; Content of biomedical materials.
2 Proteins, cells and tissues
Structure, properties and adsorption (material) properties of proteins; interaction between cell surface and material surface; tissue
3 Metallic biomaterials
Preparation of metallic biomaterials; types and properties of metallic biomaterials
4 Polymeric biomaterials
Molecular weight; polymer structure; thermal property; copolymer
5 Ceramic biomaterials
Ceramic type; calcium phosphate ceramic
6 Natural materials
Protein materials; polysaccharide; structure; chemical modification
7 Biomimetic materials
Definition of biomimetic materials; characteristics of materials; structural characteristics and preparation
8 Application of biological materials
Blood compatibility; tissue compatibility; cardiovascular materials, Department of orthopedics materials, bionic tissue
Lecture notes and reference books
1. Ratner, B. D. et al., eds. Biomaterials Science: An introduction to Materials in Medicine. 2nd ed. San Diego CA: Elsevier, 2004
2. Handbook of Biodegradable Polymers