Course Code: B74001Y
Course Name: Cosmic Discoveries
Lecture Time: 30 periods
This course is an introduction for the students to learn the astronomy to broaden their view about the universe.
The course will tell student how the astronomers make discovery of the universe, what are the tools and methology used to study the universe, and modern view of the universe
Course 1.The tools to study Universe
1. The history of the progresses of traditional telescope;
2. The key steps of the development of the telescopes
Course 2.The case for method used to search for extra-solar planets
1. Why the Earth is suitable place for the creation of human being
2. The method and difficulties to search for second "Earth"
3. Why Kepler project is powerful to find new extraterrestrial planets.
Course 3. Idea for study Universe : Case of Hubble law
1. What is Hubble diagram
2. Historical background of Hubble diagram
3. How to measure the radial velocity and distance of the galaxies
4. The Controversy of Hubble Constant
5. The future of the Universe
Course 4. Dark Matter
2 .Observational evidence of presence of dark matter
3 .Current status of experimental detections
Course 5. Square Kilometre Array (SKA)
1 .Historical remarks: why a radio array ?
2 .Introduction to SKA concept
3 .Technical challenges
4. SKA Science goals
Course 6. Gravitational Waves
1. Predictions and tests of general relativity
2. Experimental search for gravitational waves
3. First discovery
4. New era for gravitational wave astronomy
Course 8.Stellar evolution:
Course 9. Black holes
Course 10. Sun and solar system
1. An overview of the Sun and solar system;
2. Solar planets;
3. Solar system formation and minor bodies in solar system;
4. Deep space exploration;
5. Heliosphere – our home in universe
Course 11. Solar magnetism and activity cycle
Course 12. Solar activity and space weather
1. Discovery of solar activity and the solar-terrestrial relationship;
2. Key forms of solar activity;
3. Super solar activity and space disasters;
4. Investigation and prediction of disastrous space weather
Course 13.Search for Extraterrestrial Life
1. Introduction to Life in the Universe
2. Why does the Earth Have Life?
3. Where did the Earth Life Come From?
4. Ups and downs of Mars Life Exploration .
5. Life Exploration in our Solar System: the Satellites, Asteroids, Comets, and Meteorites.
6. Searching for Extrasolar Habitable Planets .
7. Legend of Extra-terrestrial
Course 14. Lunar and Planetary Exploration of China
1. Revealing the mysterious lunar;
2. The First Lunar Exploration Upsurge
3. Reason of Return to the Moon.
4. The Start of Chinese lunar exploration project and CE-1
5.CE-2 mission and Extended Test
7. Future Development of CE project
8.China will explore further
Course 15.The Fortune and Disaster Brought by Impact of Small Celestial Bodies on the Earth
1. Extraterrestrial visitors - meteor showers and meteorites;
2. Extinctions Induced by Small Celestial Bodies ;
3 The Fortune and Disaster Brought by Impact of Small Celestial Bodies ;
4. Sources of Celestial and Avoiding Impact;
5. Two Major Impact Events in Solar System
6. "Death" and Destruction" of earth