Course Name：Basic principle of soil science
Pre-requisite：Principles of Chemistry, General biology
Lecture Time: 60 (15 weeks, 2 sessions/week, 2 hours/session)
Instructors: Dr. Zhengyi Hu
This course is designed to introduce the basic principles of soil science including soil definition, function; soil minerals, organic matter, organisms, gas, and heat; soil formation, development and classification; migration and cycle of water in soil; soil colloidal and surface chemical reactions; soil solution chemical reactions; cycle of nutrients in soil; and soil quality to undergraduate students at environmental science, ecology and agricultural science fields for students to lay the foundation of knowledge at soil science for engaging in scientific research and technical research and development.
Topics and Schedule
- Introduction (2hr)
- 1Soil definition
- 2Soil function
- Soil Minerals (6hr)
- 1Mineral composition and chemical composition of soil substances.
- 2Clay minerals
- 3Distribution of soil clay minerals in China.
- Soil organic matter (6hr)
- 1Source, content and composition of soil organic matter
- 2Decomposition and transformation of soil organic matter
- 3Formation and transformation of soil humus
- 4Role and management of soil organic matter
- Soil organisms (4hr)
- 1Soil biotic component
- 2Environmental factors affecting soil organisms
- 3Soil organism distribution and its interaction.
- Soil water, gas and heat (4hr)
- 1Basic properties of soil moisture.
- 2Soil water potential
- 3Soil gas
- 4Soil heat and thermal properties
- Formation and development of soils (4hr)
- 1Factors affecting soil formation
- 2Soil formation process
- 3Soil development
- 4Soil genesis and formation of soil diagnostic layers
- Soil classification (4hr)
- 1 Basis and requirement of soil classification.
- 2 Soil classification systems
- 3 Classification of soils in China.
- 4 Distribution of soil in China
- Soil structure and mechanical properties (4hr)
- 1 Soil particles
- 2 Soil texture
- 3 Soil structure
- 4 Mechanical properties of soil
- 5 Soil tilth and tillage
- Migration and cycle of water in soil (4hr)
- 1 Migration of soil liquid water
- 2 Migration of soil gaseous water
- 3 Available, balance and cycle of water in soils
- 4 Dynamics of water in soil and regulation
- 5 Migration of soil solutes
- Surface chemistry of soil colloidal (6hr)
- 1 Surface type and structure of soil colloid
- 2 Surface properties of soil colloidal
- 3 Adsorption and exchange of cations on soil colloids
- 4 Adsorption and exchange of anions on soil colloids
- Chemical reactions in soil solution (6hr)
- 1 Composition and characteristics of soil solution
- 2 Acid-base reactions in soil
- 3 Oxidation-reduction reactions in soil
- 4 Precipitation-dissolution reactions in soil
- 5 Complexation-dissociation reactions in soil
- Cycle of soil nutrients (4hr)
- 1 Cycle of carbon in soil
- 2 Cycle of nitrogen in soil
- 3 Cycle of phosphorus in soil
- 4 Cycle of potassium in soil
- 5 Cycle of sulfur in soil
- 6 Cycle of micronutrients in soil
- Soil quality (6hr)
- 1 Soil fertility quality
- 2 Soil health quality
- 3 Soil environmental quality
The homework will be graded, which count for 20% of the total scores. Class attendance will be selectively checked, which count for 10% of the total scores. At the end of the class will be followed by a final examination, which will count for 70% of the total scores.
Changyong Huang, Jianming Xu, Soil Science, 3rd edition, Beijing, China Agricultural Press, 2010.
- Nyle C. Brady, Ray R. Weil, The Nature and Properties of Soils, Prentice Hall, London, 2001.
- Singer, M. J., Munns, D. N., Soils: An Introduction(4th ed.), Prentice-Hall, Upper Saddle River, NJ. USA, 1999.
- Sumner, M. E.(ed.), Handbook of Soil Science, CRC press, Florida, 2000.
- Gary, M. J. et al., Soil Environmental Quality, CRC Press, New York, 2000.
- Zuxiang Zhu, Soil Science (A), first edition,1th, Beijing, China Agricultural Press, 1983.