The foreigners coming to China for study shall apply for a study-purpose visa at the Chinese Embassy/Consulate in their country of nationality or country of residence.
There are two types of visas for study purpose: X1 type visas are usually issued to the students planning to study for over 180 days; X2 type visas are usually issued to the students planning to study for less than 180 days.
The documents issued by the International Students Office (ISO) of UCAS, including the Admission Notice, the Visa Application Form for Study in China (JW 202/201), 3)Copy of Physical Examination Record for Foreignerand some other documents, will be required by the Chinese Embassies and Consulates.
Note: The originals will be required in application for the Residence Permit in China after the student arrives in China.
The list and contacts of Chinese diplomatic missions overseas can be checked on the website of Ministry of Foreign Affairs of China.
II. IMPORTNANT NOTICE ABOUT ENTRY VISA:
1. For the international students who are coming to China with new visas, please check the visa type and read the following notices respectively.
If you are holding X1 visa: you must register at the university and apply for a residence permit within 30 days after your entry into China, otherwise illegal stay is constituted. Usually there is only one entry permitted on your visa. Since early registration is not entertained and it usually takes 3-7 days for the preparation of documents required for the residence permit application, it is suggested that you enter China on registration date designated on the Admission Notice.Registration is not accepted if a) it is too early; or b) you are holding an expired visa/residence permit; or c) the remaining time to the expiration of your visa/residence permit is not adequate for necessary formalities.
If you are holding X2 visa: the number of entries permitted and the duration of each stay (by days after each entry) are indicated on the visa. You shall remember the expiration date clearly, and register at the designated date on your Admission Notice.
Please be noted that travelling from Hong Kong S.A.R, Macau S.A.R and China Taiwan to mainland China counts an entry.
2. For the international students who are already staying or residing in China, please check your visas, stay permits or residence permits, and read the following notices respectively.
If you are holding a Residence Permit: you shall assure that, on the date of registration, there are still over 30 days left to the expiration of the validity period. After registration, you need to apply for a new residence permit for study.
If you are holding a visa of another type: you shall assure that, on the date of registration, there are still over 7 days left to the expiration of the duration of the stay. After registration, you need to apply for a residence permit, or change to a study-purpose visa. If the application fails, you have to go back to your home country to apply for a new study-purpose visa overseas, and re-enter China and register with the new visa.
If you are holding a stay permit, you cannot apply for a new visa or residence permit in China. You have to exit or go back to home country to apply for a new study purpose visa overseas, and re-enter China and register with the new visa.
3. For the international students who decide to give up the admission to UCAS, DO NOT use the documents issued by UCAS to apply for a visa nor use that visa to enter China. According to the regulations of the government, the university shall report all the admitted but unregistered students to the Department of Exit and Entry Administration. If you are holding a study-purpose visa in China but do not register in the corresponding university, the visa will be cancelled and you will be penalized for illegal stay.
III. ABOUT RESIDENCE PERMIT APPLICATION
1. New students holding an X visa must apply for a residence permit to the Administrative Department of the Entry and Exit of Foreigners within 30 days from the date of entry in China. Those who exceed the specified time will be punished in accordance with relevant Chinese laws for illegal residence.
2. To apply for residence permit in China, the international students need to bring the following materials to the Administrative Department of the Entry and Exit of Foreigners:
Foreigners are required to complete accommodation registration procedure within 24 hours at the local police station (for those who live outside campus) or the Student Dormitory Service Center (for those who live on campus) after arrival and get the Temporary Residence Registration Form.
Note: It will take about one month to get your passport back. If you have to apply for extension of stay or more entries for your visa, it will take about 3 weeks to get your passport back. During this time period, you cannot travel outside China. You should better take it into consideration.
IV. Penalty of violation
Staying in China with an expired or invalid visa/residence permit is a violation of law. The violator will be fined ( RMB 500 per day), detained for investigation, and/or deported.