The International Centre for Theoretical Physics Asia-Pacific (ICTP-AP) is located in Beijing, China. It is a category 2 Centre under the auspices of UNESCO in cooperation with the Chinese Academy of Sciences, the National Science Foundation China (NSFC) and the Abdus Salam International Centre for Theoretical Physics (ICTP, Trieste). ICTP-AP operates in affiliation to the University of Chinese Academy of Sciences (UCAS) and is an ICTP partner Institute.
ICTP-AP aims to become a world-class research center, a training center for talented young scientists as well as an international centre for academic exchange.
ICTP-AP is seeking to appoint a new associate director who would work under the auspices of the director. The selection committee will initially review qualified candidates. Strong candidates will be submitted to the review committee of UCAS for further assessment.
The Associate Director is an academic and administrative officer of the ICTP-AP, reporting to the ICTP-AP Director.
The incumbent will specifically:
- provide intellectual and organizational leadership and strategic guidance to the Centre, to assess and improve its relevance and impact;
- leverages physical and human resources to develope and maintain a high calibre of science within the Centre, to promote advanced scientific research and education, especially in the Asia-Pacific region within the concept of "science for development";
- engage with the scientific community both in developed and less developed countries to address emerging global issues and science for development.
Skills and competencies:
- Recognized capacity and experience for visionary management in a multi-regional or multinational environment working under culturally complex and challenging conditions.
- Good understanding of science and technology and innovation needs of developing countries.
- Capacity to provide intellectual leadership to guide staff and motivate teams in a multicultural environment.
- Strategic planning and management abilities, including capacity to administer extensive programmes, financial and human resources and exercise appropriate supervision and control.
- Regularly organize international academic events.
- Promote the interdisciplinary training and integration of science and education.
- Regularly hold working meetings of affiliated departments.
- Formulate annual and semester work plans.
- Ph.D. in physics, mathematics or one of the fields of interest to ICTP-AP.
- Achieved academic achievements recognized by international peers, and considerable international popularity and influence.
- Strong interest in academic activities and popularization of science.
- Excellent communication skills in English, both written and verbal.
- CV, scans of qualification certificates, incl. degree, employment and award documents.
- Your understanding of this position and proposal for future work.
End of May 2020
Please email the softcopy of all application materials together to email@example.com and specify your name, the position you are applying.
Contacts: ICTP-AP Office
Address: No.55, Zhongguancun East Street, Beijing, China.