University of Chinese Academy of Sciences (UCAS) has set up the UCAS Scholarship for International Students to sponsor young talents all over the world to pursue Master’s or Doctoral degree, or attend courses, conduct research or pay academic visits at UCAS faculties/CAS institutes. The Scholarship also encourages international graduate students currently studying at foreign universities to come for study on joint programs.
The scholarship consists of both a full scholarship and a partial scholarship. The full scholarship provides tuition waiver, monthly stipend, basic accommodation and medical insurance; while the partial scholarship covers some items of the Full. Since 2016, the Scholarship has been majorly sponsoring Master students and Master-PhD students.
Scholarship Coverage and Duration
a) Tuition fee exemption by UCAS;
Doctoral students would be exempted from a tuition fee of RMB 40,000/year.
Master students would be exempted from a tuition fee of RMB 30,000/year.
Senior visiting students would be exempted from a tuition fee of RMB 3,000/month.
Regular visiting student would be exempted from a tuition fee of RMB 2,600/month.
b) Monthly stipend;
UCAS provides monthly stipend of RMB 2,500 for Doctoral students, senior visiting students and students on joint programs, and RMB 2,000 for Master students and regular visiting students. In addition, host supervisor and UCAS faculty/CAS institute (hereinafter referred to as faculty/institute) provide research assistantship for awardees considering their academic performances. The total amounts of monthly stipend will be no less than RMB 3500 for Doctoral students, senior visiting students and students on joint programs, and RMB 3000 for Master students and regular visiting students.
UCAS provides basic accommodation to awardees from faculties/institutes located in Beijing. As for awardees from CAS institutes located outside Beijing, they would be provided with basic accommodation when attending the concentrated study at UCAS, while their host institutes would help to provide accommodation or solve accommodation-related problems when awardees are with them, and the awardees shall pay for relevant expenses as requested by the institutes.
d) Medical Insurance;
The insurance premium is RMB 800/year and RMB 400/half year. Please refer to the www.lxbx.net for the introduction of insurance coverage.
Duration （with NO EXTENSION）
a) Master students: no longer than 36 months
b) Doctoral students: no longer than 36 months
c) Students on joint programs: 6-24months
d) Regular and Senior visiting students: 6-24 months
General conditions for applicants:
• Meet the admission criteria for UCAS international students (please refer to the calls for 2020 Programs for international students);
• Get acceptance by a host supervisor and approval by the UCAS faculty/CAS institute that the supervisor is affiliated with;
• Have an appropriate attitude toward learning and scientific research and have outstanding academic performance;
• Have not accepted any other sponsorship at the time of application;
• Age requirements:
a) For master program applicants: be born after 1 January 1990 (inclusive).
b) For PhD program applicants: be born after 1 January 1985 (inclusive)
c) Students on joint programs: No age limit.
d) Regular visiting students: be born after 1 January 1980 (inclusive).
e) Senior visiting students: be born after 1 January 1975 (inclusive).
• Be proficient in English or Chinese. Applicants whose native language is not English should provide unexpired TOEFL or IELTS scores. TOEFL scores should be 90 or higher, and IELTS scores should be 6.5 or higher. Applicants are not required to submit a TOEFL or IELTS score only if their:
a) Native language is English, or
b) Major undergraduate courses are conducted in English/Chinese, which should be stated in transcripts, or
c) New HSK Band 5 passed with over 200 scores.
• Other requirements on applicants on joint programs:
a) Applicants should be currently studying at higher institutions abroad.
b) The higher institution abroad the applicant is affiliated with should have signed relevant collaboration and exchange agreement with CAS/UCAS/CAS institute.
c) Awarded student should register before the November of 2020.
d) The academic visit to or joint culture at CAS should last for no shorter than 6 months.
• Other requirements on visiting students:
a) Scholars should register before the November of 2020.
b) Scholars shall be further educated for no shorter than 6 months.
Note：Students who are currently studying at higher institutions in China cannot apply (with exception for this year’s graduates).
1. CHECK ELIGIBILITY CRITERIA:
You should carefully read this call and verify that you are eligible and meet ALL the eligibility criteria specified in the “General conditions for applicants” section.
2. FIND AN ELIGIBLE HOST SUPERVISOR AFFILIATED WITH UCAS FACULTY OR CAS INSTITUTE THAT AGREES TO ACCEPT YOU.
See here for a list of eligible supervisors affiliated with UCAS faculties/CAS institutes. Once you find an eligible professor of your interest, you must contact him/her, send an explanatory e-mail together with your CV, research proposal and any other required documents to him/her, and indicate that you wish to apply for UCAS Scholarship for International Students.
3. SUBMIT BOTH OF YOUR ADMISSION APPLICATION AND SCHOLARSHIP APPLICATION VIA THE ONLINE SYSTEM.
You shall log in the Online Application System for International Students of UCAS (http://adis.ucas.ac.cn), correctly fill in your personal information, upload authentic documents required for admission (please refer to the calls for doctoral/master/visiting program) and submit your applications for both admission and scholarship.
4. REMIND YOUR SUPERVISOR TO COMPLETE THE SUPERVISOR’S COMMENT PROCEDURE BEFORE DEADLINE.
Please ask your supervisor to visit the UCAS online admission system and finish the required procedure which will be instructed in an email automatically sent to your supervisor by the system immediately after your application materials pass the preliminary review by the institute/college he or she is affiliated with.
March 31, 2020
Notification of Decision and Visa Application
The admission decisions will be made normally in May to June. The offers of admissions, award letters and other documents will be conveyed afterwards.
Awardees shall take the following documents to the Embassy or Consulate of the People's Republic of China, and apply for a student visa (X1/X2 visa):
• Personal passports as used for application
• Admission Notice
• Visa Application Form (JW202)
• Physical Examination Record for Foreigners
• Other original reports from the physical examination
Please keep safe of the original Admission Notice and Visa Application Form (JW202). They are essential in the application for the Permanent Residence Permit upon registration. Please do not apply for visa waiver or other types of visa.
• Awardees must register at the time and place indicated in the Admission Notice. Otherwise, they should apply for extension of their registration.
• Awardees must show the original copies of Bachelor’s degree certificate and transcript to International Students Office.
• The duration of the scholarship stated explicitly in the Admission Notice.
• The scholarship can be retained for no longer than 2 months since the deadline of the registration.
• Awardees receive monthly stipend from UCAS since the registration day. Those who register before the 15th of a given month (including 15th) receive a full-month stipend, while those register after the 15th of a given month receive a half-month stipend.
• Registered awardees must abide by relevant rules and regulations of the universities, and attend reviews and examinations, such as the qualifying tests on time. Awardees who fail review or examination will be deprived of their scholarship or their scholarship will be suspended.
• Any work produced and published by the awardees during the funding period of the scholarship must be credited to the institute/school and the university where the awardees are enrolled. Awardees are also required to acknowledge “Sponsored by UCAS Scholarship for International Students in written dedication.
International Students Office
University of Chinese Academy of Sciences
No.80 Zhongguancun East Road, Haidian District, Beijing, 100190, China
Coordinator: Ms. HU Menglin