Residence Permit Application for New Arrivals



1. New students holding an X visa must apply for a residence permit to the Administrative Department of the Entry and Exit of Foreigners within 30 days from the date of entry in China. Those who exceed the specified time will be punished in accordance with relevant Chinese laws for illegal residence.

2. To apply for residence permit in China, the international students need to bring the following materials to the Administrative Department of the Entry and Exit of Foreigners:

  1. Original Admission Letter
  2. Original Visa Application for Study in China (JW202/201)
  3. Passport
  4. One 2-inch photo
  5. Temporary Residence Registration Form

Foreigners are required to complete accommodation registration procedure within 24 hours at the local police station (for those who live outside campus) or the Student Dormitory Service Center (for those who live on campus) after arrival and get the Temporary Residence Registration Form.

  1. Foreigner's Health certificate
  2. Residence Permit Application Form
  3. Please submit the photocopies of your passport ID page, current visa page and last entry seal page during registration. International Student Office (ISO) will inform you by email to come for the residence permit application after registration.

Note: It will take about one month to get your passport back. If you have to apply for extension of stay or more entries for your visa, it will take about 3 weeks to get your passport back. During this time period, you cannot travel outside China. You should better take it into consideration.



Step 1. Apply to International Students Office for Extension Application Form

Please send the following to  (pdf or image) 2 month before expiration date of the current residence permit.  If it is going to expire during July 10th to September 10th, please apply for extension application form before summer holiday.

1) Passport ID page

2) Current residence permit page

3) Last entry seal

4) Local police station registration form

ISO will inform you to pick up the required documents after they are approved by the online system.

Step 2. Apply to the Exit and Entry Administration for Extension

Required Documents:

1) Passport

2) one 2-inch photo

3) Temporary Residence Registration Form

4) Residence Permit Application Form issued from ISO

Office Name: Administrative Department of the Entry and Exit of Foreigners, Beijing Public Security Bureau 北京市公安局出入境管理处

Office AddressNo.2,  Andingmen Dong Dajie, East District, Beijing          


Tel: 84020101   Time:8:3016:30 , from  Monday to Saturday

Ways to get there:It takes about one and half hours.

Starting Point: University of Chinese Academy of Sciences 中国科学院大学

Walk to the Bus Stop: Bao fu si qiao nan zhan 保福寺桥南站   Take Bus 660

Get off the bus at Bus Stop (9 stops): An hui qiao dong zhan安慧桥东change Bus 16

Get off the bus at Bus Stop (9 stops): Dong zhi men xiao jie bei kou东直门小街北口站Walk to the Administrative Department  (about 220 m)